Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My daughter just got back from the dealer having her oil changed. The service manager told her thet her car was leaking coolant (unknown at what rate). They told her she would need a new housing, thermostat, o-ring and gasket to the tuneo of $197and a labor charge of $290. How much trouble is it to change? My husband can do it if it is not to complicated, he was just curious as ro how much trouble it will be.
TIA, Amy

·
Registered
11,864 Posts
in case your not familiar with things here, that link i posted is a step by step do it yourself writeup to replace that housing, thermostat and sensor :bigthumbsup just click on it.

dont let her keep driving it. if the coolant gets too low, or it really gives out worse while shes driving, it can trash the engine in a short time.

·
Registered
6,442 Posts
Joe, if you've worked on cars before you'll really appreciate the way the V6 motor is laid out. It is very easy to work on. :bigthumbsup

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
This is my first time with this one. I had several of the older Mustangs. The worst one to work on was my '70 428CJ. You had to jack up the engine just to change the plugs. So this is going to be an easy job compared to working the '70. I DO wish I still had that one though.
Joe

·
Registered
6,442 Posts
The only issue I've had so far with this V6 was the plug boots. They are very long and completely cover the outside of the plug, and tend to stick with age. Once you get them off lubricate them with silicone before putting them back on.

·
Registered
109 Posts
1 - 10 of 10 Posts