Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys. I have been noticing a “wub wub” noise from my rear end while driving. I have brand new brakes and rotors all around and I have just replaced the front wheel bearings and rear axle bearings. The noise seems to be rhythmic with the speed of the car. That is to say at low speed the wub is slower and high speed a faster wub sound. Could this be a tire issue or? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.
2014 GT

·
Super Moderator
3,221 Posts
If you took this car to a shop for the brakes and bearings all around, you need to return to that shop so the can locate and/or correct the issue.

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
If this started right after the bearings were replaced I would suspect a poorly done bearing replacement or defective bearing. I agree with crjackson that if you paid someone to do this then bring it back to them as they should correct the issue for free if it was their work and/or parts that caused it.
When you say the rear axle bearings do you mean the outer wheel bearings or the inner differential carrier bearings?
It's usually a bad wheel bearing but it could be an out of balance tire or separated belt in the tread. I've had all 3 of these produce that noise.

·
Registered
661 Posts
Have you had the wheels balanced and rims checked for trueness? I had a rim that was slightly bent in the center (I tagged a curb after hitting a patch of ice making a left turn). I took it to a shop to have it checked out and re-aligned. Took it back a few times because it was making a "wub wub" sound. The tech finally put the passenger front wheel on the balancer and noticed a slight side to side wobble. Replaced the rim, problem solved.
Also, what make/model of tire are you using? I had the Pirelli P Zero's a while back that would make a similar noise once the thread got even just slightly misworn. After 2 sets I found a thread (I believe on this site) that someone else was having the same experience with the Pirelli's. Switched to Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3+ tires and 3 sets later haven't had any more issues. I easily get 40-45k out of these tires.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I did the front bearings and brakes myself. But I went to ford to have the rear axle bearings done. And yes the outer bearings and seals. The tires are sumitomo hrt enhance l/x. These tires easily have 30k miles on them. The car was making this noise prior to having the bearings replaced. The noise is what prompted me to get the bearings done and since the car is 7 years old I figured why not. I have not had a tire balance performed. I have the original tires and rims for the car in my garage. Maybe I’ll put the old ones on and give it a spin to see if that changes the noise or eliminates it.

·
Registered
80 Posts
I would say if the "wub wub" is a result or derives from work the shop did, they should fix it, but if it's something else, then not.
A tire that has a odd tread wear spot like from a skid for example, will often develop a "wub wub" too. Driving a tire for long periods, like months, with an out of balance issue or bent wheel / axle can lead to it as well.
It was a light snowy Fall day, Wife and I had a GWRRA meeting 60 miles away, so we took the Subaru as did not want to get the T-bird or Mercury or the trike dirty too ... and my '77 F-150 just liked gas too much. We finished the meeting, had a meal with my group, then we headed home, listened to "wub wub wub wub" all the way home, I just knew it was a bearing gone south. Started just after I backed out of the parking space. All the way, I was just hoping it would get us home. I could hear it was coming from right rear wheel, stopped to check it for heating a couple times, was no excess heating. Get home, back into carport, no noise. It's dark now, cold too, I'm obsessed with it, so I pull the right rear wheel off after lugging a jack up from my shop.
There it was!
A finely polished round walnut laying on top of the outer CV joint's hub next to the trailing arm. Going forwards tried to wedge it, but it was tough and just rolled. Backing would take pressure off, so no noise.
Where I had parked at that meeting was over on the side of the parking lot, next to trees. All I could figure was a squirrel put that walnut up there while we were in the meeting, perhaps drawn by warmth of the car after our drive up to the meeting.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Alright I got the tires balanced this morning. The noise still persists. The guy said the tires are about shot, which makes sense since I’ve got about 30-40k on them. Still going to try throwing the old rims and tires on soon.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Bad balnce will not directly cause the wub-wub, it's the wear pattern it sets up on the tire that will cause it. And it takes a lot of time and miles to do it.

·
Super Moderator
8,083 Posts
Parking brake shoes.

·
Super Moderator
8,083 Posts
You are correct. I had my Wilwood Superlite's in mind when I referenced the brake shoe. Thanks for keeping me straight.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Okay so this morning I swapped to my old rims and tires. The noise is still present. While I had the car jacked up I have the driveshaft a good shake and it didn’t have any play in it. I’m a bit stumped. Back to the shop I suppose

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
Perhaps it's your differential then. The pinion or carrier bearings are possible. If the universal joint in the driveshaft is on it's way out it may not give any wiggle yet just like wheel bearings usually give you a warning with a similar sound before they completely fail.

·
Registered
80 Posts
I don’t think it has brake shoes? Discs in the back
The disc are your service brakes, but inside the rotor hat there maybe is a small drum brake that is the parking brake, it has small shoes in it. Cables can develop rust and not release cleanly. A 7 year old car could have the issue.

Worth a look.

Some cars with rear disc use a screw like deal than tightens pads to rotors, some have a small drum brake inside the rotor. Look to see where the cables go.

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
The disc are your service brakes, but inside the rotor hat there maybe is a small drum brake that is the parking brake, it has small shoes in it. Cables can develop rust and not release cleanly. A 7 year old car could have the issue.

Worth a look.

Some cars with rear disc use a screw like deal than tightens pads to rotors, some have a small drum brake inside the rotor. Look to see where the cables go.
No parking brake shoes in the factory Mustang rotors. They use a cable right to the caliper.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
So ford contacted me today and informed me that all the rear end noise seems to be coming from the tires. I was a little skeptical of this as I threw old rims and tires on and had the same noise. According to the tech he used a mechanics stethoscope and arrived at the tire conclusion. I’m getting new tires mounted and an alignment. Crossing my fingers that this is all it was.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I had the exact same problem on my '98 and it was the tire. New tires and a balance solved the problem on mine. I figured it out after I moved the front tire to the back but not before I replaced the front wheel bearing.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts