Ford Mustang Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
need help guys,installed o-r bbk x-pipe today and sounds like crap.i have vx xcelerator mufflers that sounded good this morning.should i weld in some hi flo cats,change mufflers or take x-pipe off.this thing is way too loud and sounds way too raspy.would some flowmasters quiet this thing down?thanks guys.:headscratch:

·
Registered
494 Posts
need help guys,installed o-r bbk x-pipe today and sounds like crap.i have vx xcelerator mufflers that sounded good this morning.should i weld in some hi flo cats,change mufflers or take x-pipe off.this thing is way too loud and sounds way too raspy.would some flowmasters quiet this thing down?thanks guys.:headscratch:
Throw on a catted h or off road prochamber to get that deep sound back.Good luck with the o.r. pro chamber,mac is having some serious back order issues.

·
Registered
603 Posts
No go get some flowmasters you will love it mine sound so good! h pipe is the thing of the past, x pipe all the way!:bigthumbsup:bigthumbsup

·
Registered
595 Posts
Did you notice with the BBK X pipe that it doesnt fit the passenger side exhaust manifold all the way? I put mine on and there was some play and caused a serious exhaust leak. Had to change the studs. Garbage.

I did have my o/r BBK X pipe with a Magnaflow catback (not magnapack) and sounded awsome. Magnaflows are quiet as hell, with an x pipe there was no raspyness just a beutifull tone to the car.

·
Registered
5,329 Posts
Flowmasters aren't going to sound much different, if its too loud you'll want to get cats, if you want a different tone, like deeper, you need to get an h-pipe or prochamber

·
Registered
268 Posts
Its the mufflers, not the midpipe. Throw a Borla/Bassani/Mac Catback on there, and it will sound awesome.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
car sounds good at idle and above 4000 rpm but total crap inbetween.my mufflers are basicly straight thru.would a chamberd muffler help?my 8 year old son loves it :bigthumbsup,I hate it.

·
Registered
3,600 Posts
i would look into borla, magnaflow, or bassani. those are some quality somewhat quiet mufflers that have a deep tone. they should clear up the sound quite a bit. check out youtube.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Change out your mufflers, into a Catback (Good system). It will cost a nice penny brand new, or buy a used system.

Xcelerator mufflers, I have never even heard of them... Dont mean to be an (ass) but they sound like knock-off's of the SLP muffler, which IMO sounds like ass.

Get you a decent catback on that car, and with a BBK O/R X you will LOVE IT!

I run BBK headers, Bassani X pipe, Bassani catback and I love it.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I have Pypes x w/cats and Dynomax Super Turbos and I love the sound. I did have Flowmasters and it was to loud/too much resonance (at least for an old man).

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
guys i hear what your saying but cat back is not in budget.this thing is louder when you let off than when on gas.would cats eliminate this,or am i stuck with this as long as i have x pipe on.i can weld in 2 mufflers or 2 cats for under 200.question is which one to go with?

·
Registered
80 Posts
A pair of cats will help quiet it down and reduce some of the raspiness. You can get some pretty cheap off eBay or performance-curve.com has pretty good prices on cats. I would probably get some Magnaflow 94106 cats. Those run about $65/each shipped at many places. You probably would not want a chambered muffler, like Flowmaster, with your off road x pipe because it would be very loud and would be very cackly, raspy, rattly at around the 2200 rpm range. You could also have your mufflers cut out and replaced with some Magnaflow mufflers (not Magnapack). That would still work well with your off road x pipe and would not be so loud in the lower rpm ranges, but would still open up nice when you get into it. It would also cost quite a bit less than a full catback system. If you wish to buy a full Magnaflow catback system though, completeexhaust.com has very good prices on them if you call them. It us MUCH less than the prices you see on the internet (I think something like $359 shipped).

·
Registered
5,329 Posts
A pair of high flow cats will help with the volume of the sound, but if you want to change the tone, flowmasters are going to sounds very close to what you have now, trust me, I have the same bbk x-pipe and flowmaster 40's. An h-pipe will give it a deeper tone and change the part you're not liking, but different mufflers aren't going to change the tone much. Most of the answers above are "sounds great/awesome" but that's subjective; what they like, you might not. X-pipes are higher pitched and raspy, h-pipes are lower pitched (like old muscle cars) and less resonance (what causes the raspiness).

·
Registered
7,401 Posts
honestly, all X pipes are not created equal....

A friend of mine has the BBK X with 2 chamber flowmasters and his is loud and raspy as hell. I have the UPR X with 1 chamber flowmasters, and his is just as loud as mine, but 10 times more raspy. I think it has to do with the stamped design of the BBK, which acts like an echo chamber.

G

·
try some 50 series delta flow flowmaster mufflers. not as loud as the 40 's or 44's. these are more mellow and maybe what your looking for.

·
Registered
140 Posts
well for what its worth i have a bbk catted x-pipe with flowmaster 40's and its not to loud but it has a terriable highway drone.
the cats are what you need or you can quiet it down some in the mufflers, pick your poison ya know

·
Registered
603 Posts
do you have your old cats cut them off and weld them in the x-pipe, this will be cheap!:bigthumbsup:gringreen

·
Registered
874 Posts
I have a Dynomax o/r x pipe with Mac 3" catback with 3.5" tips. It's loud. At idle it sounds like it's in a tunnel. I LOVE the sound, but I'm entertaining installing some high flow cats to quiet it down a hair. At speed my car sounds like a race car. I tell you what though, at car shows or cruise-ins...... when I start my car, everyone looks.:bigthumbsup

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
i do have old cats ,how do you guys think they flow compared to new high flows?the sound is growing on me a little but still gonna weld cats in.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.