Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Planning the mods out for my wife's car. The only rules she gave me was I can't make it ride rough or excessively loud. Will an off-road or catted x-pipe through stock mufflers be a noticeable increase in exhaust noise? Any drone? Thinking of a airaid CAI, Bama tune, magnaflow x-pipe, and boss intake.

·
Registered
216 Posts
The offroad X will make it too loud and stinky for her. The catted one should be fine.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I'm installing a Magnaflow catted x-pipe next week, as well as a few other mods (cai and susp mods), then dyno tuning it, I'll let you know.

·
Registered
162 Posts
If you want it quiet on the highway at 70-80 but makes sweet sound with your right foot look at the Corsa extreme with an x pipe. Just drove from Myrtle beach to Boston in 16 hours straight. No drone, a killer on a long drive. Sports car sound not raspy race replica. Look at their sound reflection tech...I love engineering and physics.

Bill

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Not doing mufflers. Quiet is key. Just wondering how big of a sound increase just the x-pipe is.

·
Registered
525 Posts
Not doing mufflers. Quiet is key. Just wondering how big of a sound increase just the x-pipe is.
It will be loud. And as far as the Boss intake unless your doing a gear swap with that auto I don't think you'll like how lazy the car feels down low.

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yah, after looking into it more the boss is probably off the list.

·
Registered
437 Posts
I installed my O/R x-pipe before changing out the mufflers and it was barely louder than stock. The axlebacks are what made the car really loud.

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
off road x pipe with stock axle back wont be loud at all believe me i have that setup. and about the smell.. well i think it smells alot better than the dead animal smell you get from cats.

·
Registered
437 Posts
Is that with a catted x-pipe?

Seems if you take the cats out the car gets a heck of a lot louder.
O/R = off-road = no cats. The cats don't make all that much of a difference in the sound of the exhaust. The mufflers have a much bigger impact on sound.

·
Registered
893 Posts
I've done a few changes and here is what I've found.

If you change to any type of straight through muffler like the Magnaflow comp series and also remove stock cats it will get really loud.

the stock cats take away a lot of noise.If you go with the Magnaflow X-pipe with HF cats it will also get much louder depending on what mufflers you install.

and you will throw a code with the Magnaflow HF cats at least I did.The key is keeping the stock cats and stock mufflers or going with GT500 or another chambered muffler.

I would just go with a different axleback for a little more sound
If you go off road X/H even with stock mufflers it can get loud at WOT but otherwise It's not much louder then stock.

·
Registered
437 Posts
Bama tune takes care of all cat-related codes being thrown, which the OP mentioned he was leaning toward.

·
Registered
70 Posts
i just got my hearttrob cat to axel h pipe with flow pack and the roush axel backs .. love it ... its a little louder at cruz ( lower rumble and raspy on down shift ) but it screams when you put to the floor ... i do most free way driving 65/75 mph . i have no issues with calls and no drone

·
Registered
83 Posts
O/R = off-road = no cats. The cats don't make all that much of a difference in the sound of the exhaust. The mufflers have a much bigger impact on sound.
Yeah, I know. However if you read the top post it doesn't say catted or not, it says Magnaflow. And I'm not familiar with those.

I disagree about the sound level. My Whipple'd car has GT500 mufflers. I put a Lethal o/r h-pipe in and it got about 3 times louder. Frankly I don't like it. And I'd rather have a little sulfur smell after getting into boost than the stinky no-cats smell all the time.

The fitment of the parts is very nice, but the overall effect just isn't quite what I'm after.

·
Registered
355 Posts
High flow cats seem like the most attractive option to gain some extra HP but escape the smell. I just ordered Stainless Works' retro chambered catback exhaust and have been eyeing their long-tube headers and high flow cats. However, I have the same concern as the OP when it comes to a large increase in volume. The YouTube videos that had the full SW exhaust were pretty beastly, maybe a bit much as a daily driver.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Here's the comparison video we made when we developed the 3" offroad X. In person the offroad X with stock mufflers is definitely not what I would consider loud. It's definitely an improvement over stock however it's really not that loud nor does it have drone.

‪Lethal Performance 2011 5.0L GT Offroad X-Pipe‬‏ - YouTube

Once you get rid of the stock overaxle pipes and go with different mufflers than it starts to get loud.

‪Lethal Performance 3" Offroad X w/ 3" Magnaflow Competition Catback 2011 5.0L Mustang GT‬‏ - YouTube

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thanks Jared! This is the wifes car and she said I can't make it loud. The vette is way too loud for her so we need to keep one car quiet for road trips/etc.

·
Registered
163 Posts
When I swapped out my stock h-pipe for a catted x-pipe, it seemed to have made it a quieter idle. Although, I haven't had the chance to do any WOT runs to see how it sounds.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts