Ford Mustang Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought the Xenon hood scoop for my 2005 GT because I caught it on sale for a great price. I have been to a couple body shops and they have all said that they would want to bolt it onto my hood. I agree that would be the best option, but I am not so sure that the Xenon hood scoop could be bolted down since the directions are to use 3m bonding tape. My question is should I sell my Xenon hood scoop and buy a different one that is made to be bolt in place? I have been thinking about getting Ford to put the stock one on my car. I also have another issue in that my stripes are a decal and I have been told they would have to be buffed off in order to install the hood scoop. I am just looking for some good advice since I have been getting the "oh she is a girl in a body shop" treatment everywhere I go. Thanks

·
Premium Member
1965 Mustang coupe
72,878 Posts
Correct that the stripes would have to go to install it. When I did mine, I just removed the stripes from under where it was going to mount. Does the scoop not fit right when dry-fitting it? Plenty of folks have installed successfully with just the 3M tape.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No it will need to be sanded to fit flush. I have been warned that the tape will not hold and will wear as the hood gets hot from running. I don't want to install it with tape and have it fly off while I am driving down the road, lol.

·
Premium Member
1965 Mustang coupe
72,878 Posts
No it will need to be sanded to fit flush. I have been warned that the tape will not hold and will wear as the hood gets hot from running. I don't want to install it with tape and have it fly off while I am driving down the road, lol.
I ran a 3D Carbon stick on scoop for over a year. It took every ounce of energy I had to remove that thing. That 3M tape is some strong stuff. I've never heard of a scoop coming off while driving.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have to say I am glad to hear that because I really like the look of the Xenon scoop. I have been running into one wall after the other trying to get this scoop onto my car. I guess I need to find a paint shop that can prep and paint the scoop and then use the tape to install it. Would you suggest having someone install the scoop with the tape or can I do it myself? I guess you need a good eye to line it up right.

·
Premium Member
1965 Mustang coupe
72,878 Posts
I have to say I am glad to hear that because I really like the look of the Xenon scoop. I have been running into one wall after the other trying to get this scoop onto my car. I guess I need to find a paint shop that can prep and paint the scoop and then use the tape to install it. Would you suggest having someone install the scoop with the tape or can I do it myself? I guess you need a good eye to line it up right.
I did mine myself. Just make sure you purchase some 3M adhesion promoter to prep the scoop and the hood so the tape sticks better. A good auto parts store should have.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I did mine myself. Just make sure you purchase some 3M adhesion promoter to prep the scoop and the hood so the tape sticks better. A good auto parts store should have.
Thanks for the advice, I feel much better about getting this mod done now.

·
Registered
2,076 Posts
This is a great idea. I put some extra 3mm tape onto my blackout panel that I bought for like 6 bucks at Walgreens. I was VERY impressed with the grip of the tape. Good luck with the install and make sure to post pics when its on!:bigthumbsup

·
Registered
146 Posts
:nono:I put that scoop on my 05 about a year ago and I'm ready to take it off ,it is cracking and the hotter it get the more it curls up on the back side ,I'm going to go with the shaker kit

·
Registered
3,316 Posts
I had my Xenon hood scoop professionally installed using just tape almost 3 years ago and have had no problems whatsoever. The tape actually allows the part to flex a little more uniformly.

·
Registered
315 Posts
The Xenon scoop was my first mod, kept it on for over a year.
Looked into having it permanently installed and was advised not to bother, not enough area to screw down in the back.
So I looked into other scoops, and ultimately went a completely different direction with the wide-ass hood stripes.

But I always liked the look of the xenon.
I blacked out the front, then glued in some platic mesh for that grill-like look.
Looked great.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Why does their always have to be one bad story about a part that you really want to put on your car. However, since the positive ones out number the negative ones I think I am going to go through with it. I am still having trouble finding a decent paint shop to take it too and I really don't want to settle for Maaco.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks for posting some pictures of your mustang with the scoop on. I just love the look of that hood scoop and I cannot wait to get mine done.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.