Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
538 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone installed an XM Satellite radio in their cars? Did you hard wire it or get the FM modulator? I cant even get the demo channel to work in mine.
Anyone having the same problems.

·
Registered
2,560 Posts
I'm having the Sirius put in the Stang Tuesday. I just had it put in the Trailblazer and you can pop it right the no holes driiled holder made for each type of car. I have the boom box at home to put it in also. It's an awesome unit.

·
Registered
538 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
sonny1213 said:
I'm having the Sirius put in the Stang Tuesday. I just had it put in the Trailblazer and you can pop it right the no holes driiled holder made for each type of car. I have the boom box at home to put it in also. It's an awesome unit.
Let me know how it works out. I think Im going to go with the hard wire version. I cost a few more bucks but now I know why. The reception has too much static. NYC has so many radio stations that the reciever cannot find a dead spot on the tuner for the XM to broadcast on.

·
Registered
2,560 Posts
I got the audiovox sirius satellite radio SIR-PNP3. I got this one so I can use it in 3 cars and in the house. They must have tapped into the radio antenna or the onstar, because there's no new one to be found. I'll ask them Tuesday. I imagine they'll have to put one in the gt. It only took the dude 40 minutes w/ the T.blazer install. I'll let you know when I know.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Y'all got to try the P.I.E. aux adaptor which allows you to directly connect sirius, XM or Ipod to the raido. Do a search here and you can find links. They had some bugs but have worked them out. I'm waiting until I get a replacement Shaker 500 to have mine installed but everyone here says it works great.

·
Registered
90 Posts
I put in the XM Roady 2 about 2 months back. I put the antenna on the passenger side just above the windshield, fed the wire under the windshield gasket to the inside kick panel. From there to the XM unit. The power unit drops the voltage to 6 volts, so be careful if you do a hardwire setup. I plugged mine into the 12v plug in the console after feeding the wires from antenna and power up beside the shift bezel. Mounted to the console, it's easy to reach -- not in my way at all -- and no conflicts with shifting. The FM channel I chose was 88.* -- even though there is a broadcast channel active, the XM when turned on powers out the channel and no static left over. Very pleased with the XM -- added the remote to change channels from outside the car -- and it rocks the speakers. If pics would help, indicate and I'll try to make a post for you.

Mach 73

·
Registered
125 Posts
mach_73 said:
.......If pics would help, indicate and I'll try to make a post for you.

Mach 73
mach_73: I'm considering an XM install when I receive my '06. Some installation visuals would be great!

·
Registered
3,724 Posts
I installed Sirius, put the antennae in the back window(on the inside)using the FM modulator. Works great, at least in my area.

·
Registered
886 Posts
I've got a delphi XM roady 2 mounted overhead with the map lights. The antenna is at the back of the roof, a couple inches above the rear glass, and power is hardwired with the accessory delay circuit. I'm currently using the built in FM modulator, but have to change frequencies if I drive into an area that has a strong signal on the freq in use. I do have static that comes and goes, but is seldom really bad, and usually not noticeable at all. I'll probably switch to an adapter (like the PIE) down the road sometime.

·
Registered
7 Posts
XM Rules!

I installed the XM Commander unit a month after buying my Mustang and it works awesome! I ride an empty FM frequency and the reception is great. Not as good as if it were hard-wired, but I've got no complaints. I affixed the control unit above the headlight switch and placed the antenna on the rear dash (package tray).

Attachments

·
Registered
165 Posts
CelticCub said:
I installed the XM Commander unit a month after buying my Mustang and it works awesome! I ride an empty FM frequency and the reception is great. Not as good as if it were hard-wired, but I've got no complaints. I affixed the control unit above the headlight switch and placed the antenna on the rear dash (package tray).
Looks great Chris!! I have the antenna in the same place but thats an interesting place for the radio......Hmmmm....might have to try that...You have it on there permanently or just velcro?!?!?

Leon

·
Registered
886 Posts
How's the reception with the antenna in the window? Mine had warnings about lack of signal trans thru glass, but I dislike having it stuck to the roof

·
Registered
7 Posts
Thanks, Leon. I used 1" 3M foam adhesive tape. The unit came with 1/2" tape, but I opted for using two 1" squares, one on each end to secure it to the dash. It hasn't budged since I put it there and I'm reasonably certain it won't leave any marks on the dash grain. If it does, that piece can be replaced since it's apart from the main section of the dash.

The reception is great. I seldomly lose the signal. It cuts out once in a while but comes back almost immediately. And that's only when I'm driving around a lot of tall buildings or around twisty mountain passes with trees. It's not so often that I would consider relocating the antenna!

·
Registered
125 Posts
CelticCub said:
Thanks, Leon. I used 1" 3M foam adhesive tape. The unit came with 1/2" tape, but I opted for using two 1" squares, one on each end to secure it to the dash. It hasn't budged since I put it there and I'm reasonably certain it won't leave any marks on the dash grain. If it does, that piece can be replaced since it's apart from the main section of the dash.

The reception is great. I seldomly lose the signal. It cuts out once in a while but comes back almost immediately. And that's only when I'm driving around a lot of tall buildings or around twisty mountain passes with trees. It's not so often that I would consider relocating the antenna!

Chris - Ditto on the great install. That does look very nice!

Did you drill a hole in the dash piece for the wires or???

·
Registered
165 Posts
Yeah Chris!! Now part two of my question....where did ya put the wires??

·
Registered
7 Posts
I ran the wire from the controller behind the dash cluster. There's a gap between the gray dash panel and the left chrome ring of the instrument cluster. I didn't drill any holes because I didn't want to damage the dash unnecessarily. The entire right portion of the dash is one piece and it costs around $1,500, but the left side is only a small piece that costs around $40. Still, I didn't want to damage anything if I didn't have too. I'll attach a pic to this post that shows what I mean.

Attachments

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.