Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,021 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I searched the threads, and didn't find a whole lot on this one:

I installed the Hurst shifter, and while it is nice and positive shifting around town, just cruising around, when I want to shift through the gears quickly, it simply WON'T. There is no binding, no grinding.

Installation was double-checked- everything installed correctly.

When I try to move up through the gears quickly, no matter how much pressure I apply to the shifter, the gears take forever to mesh/engage. It's horrible, and I cannot imagine trying to drag race with it. The stock shifter actually moved the gears quicker!

Is there something wrong with mine, or is this tremec trans just a slow-shifting mutha? I'm talking about a full second to change a gear!!! Have I been driving transaxles too long? :help:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
829 Posts
I read it but, I better keep my mouth shut ! I have been know to be very opinionated about shifters...
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
72,882 Posts
Gig4Fun said:
I read it but, I better keep my mouth shut ! I have been know to be very opinionated about shifters...
Come on Gig... Tell us again about the Pro 5.0. :D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
829 Posts
stlwagon said:
Come on Gig... Tell us again about the Pro 5.0. :D
I would LOVE TO but I think I will get flogged if I do!

:sterb:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,021 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
C'mon guys- give it up. Have I been duped with this Hurst? If this truly is the way these things are supposed to work, then it is a real POS. My rabbit diesel shifted about 8 times faster than this thing.

All I want to know is: Is this the way it is, or is something wrong with mine?
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
72,882 Posts
helicfii said:
C'mon guys- give it up. Have I been duped with this Hurst? If this truly is the way these things are supposed to work, then it is a real POS. My rabbit diesel shifted about 8 times faster than this thing.

All I want to know is: Is this the way it is, or is something wrong with mine?
I don't have the same problem. Shifts are a lot firmer than stock and a lot more positive into 3rd than before. It is a bit notchy, but I'm used to it now. I do wish it had stops like the 5.0.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,021 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So, you are able to shift quickly into gears with the Hurst?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
30 Posts
Is the rapid shifting at higher RPMs?

My Hurst works perfectly at shifting rapidly, however I do tend to mishift more if I am near 6000 RPMs...

Faulty shifter is my best guess!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,021 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well, I crawled underneath the car (again), removed the plastic bushings, then cleaned and re-lubed them with a lot more grease this time. I then cleaned the threads and nut on the transmission linkage, applied heavy duty Locktite, and only tightened the nut "snugly" (snuggly?). It is shifting better now, but I am still not happy with it. Maybe I'll send it back. Hard to believe it's the shifter, though- all this shifter does is move the one linkage rod back-and-forth while rotating it, and just about any assembly is capable of doing that. I'm thinking its the transmission. More to come later....
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,021 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
stlwagon said:
Yes, especially since the throw is almost 3 inches shorter.
IMHO, shift throw distance has little to do with shifting speed. A 9 inch throw that has no resistance will shift faster than a 3 inch throw with a lot of resistance. :rolleyes:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,021 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
ggire said:
Is the rapid shifting at higher RPMs?

My Hurst works perfectly at shifting rapidly, however I do tend to mishift more if I am near 6000 RPMs...

Faulty shifter is my best guess!
I am not getting any mis-shifts. The gates seem to be fine, just slow engagement regardless of rpm. :sadcry:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,479 Posts
I power shift (or a near power shift) mine at the drag strip. I can shift as fast as I can and it easily goes into gear. I shift fast enough where I can lay a good long patch in 2nd gear and a decent one in third.

Are you babying it? Can you just jam through the gears or won't they let you in at all until they sync? How long is the sync?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
52 Posts
I think maybe there's something wrong with your unit. I've had nothing but a positive experience with mine, so I'm pretty sure the parts not a POS, (although it may just not be what you were looking for). After I installed mine, it took a short while to master the extra effort required, but once I mastered that and practiced syncing my clutch foot up with the faster shifts, there is a noticeable increase in the speed with which I can move thru the gears - this translates into a bigger fun factor on highway onramps for me (I don't race), though one guy in a previous thread mentions better ETs at the track too.

That being said, based on the specs I've seen and some compelling argument from Gig4fun, this is NOT the best unit available. I think its got good value for looks and snappier around town shifting - but, as Gig4fun will tell you, for serious applications, its probably better to spend the extra $ and get one of the other ones.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,021 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
5twenty said:
I power shift (or a near power shift) mine at the drag strip. I can shift as fast as I can and it easily goes into gear. I shift fast enough where I can lay a good long patch in 2nd gear and a decent one in third.

Are you babying it? Can you just jam through the gears or won't they let you in at all until they sync? How long is the sync?
No, believe me- I am not babying it. I cannot just jam through the gears- it takes about 1/2 second from intial shifter movement to gear sync, which IMO, is way too long for a modern transmission. The harder I push, the longer it seems to take....:mad:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,479 Posts
helicfii said:
No, believe me- I am not babying it. I cannot just jam through the gears- it takes about 1/2 second from intial shifter movement to gear sync, which IMO, is way too long for a modern transmission. The harder I push, the longer it seems to take....:mad:
I used to have the feeling like I had to wait for the sync, also about 1/2 a second. But I have found that I can shift right 'through' the sync and get right in, as fast as I can shift. This effect is more noticable at high RPMS. In fact, that's the only time I'm trying to shift that fast, when he RPMs are above 6000.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,299 Posts
helicfii said:
Well, I crawled underneath the car (again), removed the plastic bushings, then cleaned and re-lubed them with a lot more grease this time. I then cleaned the threads and nut on the transmission linkage, applied heavy duty Locktite, and only tightened the nut "snugly" (snuggly?). It is shifting better now, but I am still not happy with it. Maybe I'll send it back. Hard to believe it's the shifter, though- all this shifter does is move the one linkage rod back-and-forth while rotating it, and just about any assembly is capable of doing that. I'm thinking its the transmission. More to come later....
I don't know if this has any bearing on your problem, but you mentioned removing and lubing the bushings. Does the Hurst by chance use the stock Ford plastic bushings that original stud passes through? I have a Saleen shifter which does use the stock bushings. But whereas the stud slips easily into the original shifter and moves very freely, the bushings fit much more tightly in the Saleen and it is much more difficult to push the stud through. Once the stud passes through it is extremely tight and shift action is very stiff. At first I thought I had overtightened the nut on the stud but after thinking about it some came to the realization that the hole in which the bushings fit is too small, thus pinching the stud. I removed the Saleen and dremeled the hole larger. Mine is significantly easier to shift now, though I'm going to ream it one more time to free it up completely. So, my question to you is: does the stud slide easily through the bushings or is it a pretty tight press fit?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,021 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
65sohc said:
I don't know if this has any bearing on your problem, but you mentioned removing and lubing the bushings. Does the Hurst by chance use the stock Ford plastic bushings that original stud passes through? I have a Saleen shifter which does use the stock bushings. But whereas the stud slips easily into the original shifter and moves very freely, the bushings fit much more tightly in the Saleen and it is much more difficult to push the stud through. Once the stud passes through it is extremely tight and shift action is very stiff. At first I thought I had overtightened the nut on the stud but after thinking about it some came to the realization that the hole in which the bushings fit is too small, thus pinching the stud. I removed the Saleen and dremeled the hole larger. Mine is significantly easier to shift now, though I'm going to ream it one more time to free it up completely. So, my question to you is: does the stud slide easily through the bushings or is it a pretty tight press fit?
Yes, the Hurst uses the factory plastic bushings, and they slide in with light finger pressure. Everything fits together very nicely with no slop or binding of any kind (none!). I had a friend drive the car today,and he says that I am imagining things- he thinks my trans shift just fine. I am going to take a new 07 out for a "test drive" next week to have something to compare it with. Chances are, I am just used to shifting really wimpy transmissions that flick in and out of gear with much effort at all. The Hurst definately has not helped with the "heaviness" of the shifting in this trans.

Another thing I was wondering, since I cannot get Hurst Tech people on the phone (gave up after 2 calls with a 30 minute wait each time)- is tehre supposed to be a little bit of vertical play in the shifter? Mine has a little (tiny) bit. I do not know if this is normal, since Hurst's "Knowledge Base" is conveniently absent of most problems encountered with shifter installations- it is mostly just which application for which trans type of questions. I sent them an e-mail. Hopefully they will write back. The good thing is that I nave no vibration or noise at all with the unit.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,021 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
5twenty said:
I used to have the feeling like I had to wait for the sync, also about 1/2 a second. But I have found that I can shift right 'through' the sync and get right in, as fast as I can shift. This effect is more noticable at high RPMS. In fact, that's the only time I'm trying to shift that fast, when he RPMs are above 6000.

Glad to hear that I am not the only one with this complaint. I remember driving a 289 AC Cobra with a Ford tranny that I had no problem at all shifting quickly, and it had a Hurst shifter too! It was not notchy at all.

I took the car out again, and I am learning how to shift it faster- it seems like you have to pre-load the shifter a little prior to clutch disengagement. Timing seems to be everything- not a very forgiving tranny! But I am getting better.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,479 Posts
helicfii said:
Glad to hear that I am not the only one with this complaint. I remember driving a 289 AC Cobra with a Ford tranny that I had no problem at all shifting quickly, and it had a Hurst shifter too! It was not notchy at all.

I took the car out again, and I am learning how to shift it faster- it seems like you have to pre-load the shifter a little prior to clutch disengagement. Timing seems to be everything- not a very forgiving tranny! But I am getting better.
I think practice makes perfect. I was playing around last night with this topic in mind and I noticed, again, that the higher the RPMs during the shift the less I noticed the 'sync delay' and the more easily I could shift right through it.
 
1 - 20 of 24 Posts
Top