Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3,106 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
At work, we use "ring compressors" to pump air into our chemical tanks to keep them agitated. Three pumps are adequate to run about sixty separate, three hundred gallon tanks. They are very similar to centrifugal superchargers [and cost the same].

Made me think... [it hurt, but I kept going]

Could you use a tank of compressed air and a valve [to keep it from shooting the wrong way, out your air filter], to briefly mimic what a supercharger does? Perhaps only a few seconds of boost?

Seems you could rough it in with a large air line and a regulator valve that was set to whatever PSI you wanted. It would have to go into an intake that could take the pressure i.e. metal, rather than a plastic intake from say a CAI.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Interesting idea, but there would many problems to overcome. I don't the flow rate on the superchargers and turbos used for the 4.6 but I know it is high. That means a large tank with large hoses or a very high pressure system. This would likely limit you to a very shoirt period of boost. Also changing the intake pressure on the engine would likely reak havoc on the engine without substancial alterations to the computer controls.

Me thinks it best to go with Nitros if you want a short boost. I certainly wouldn't consider moding my car to do this. Not saying it can't be done but there are easier proven ways.

·
Registered
3,106 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
redbullet said:
What you R describing is a nitrous system
Nah, more of a supercharger or turbo replacement. Like how much air would I have to pump into the intake, during, say 4K RPM, to make 8 PSI, for ten seconds? Would it be worth the weight savings over the supercharger, to add a large-ish but thin walled steel tank and the tubing, which also wouldn't run off the engine or exhaust, saving that little bit of additional drag? Not trying to add a greater O2 charge, like nitrous, just pressurize the cylinders with air/fuel.

I could look this up on that "How things work" website.

·
Registered
332 Posts
That's what wet nitrous does. When used as a wet flow system the add'l 'air' is injected into the intake. It just doesn't measure it as pressure or boost but in expected HP. The nitrous tank is under about 600 - 800 lbs pressure. N2O is merely an oxygen-rich compound that supports the combustion of additional fuel.

An 'X' amount of nitrous, adjusted by a 'jet' and 'X' amount of gas adjusted the same way.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts