Ford Mustang Forum banner

You really should not race on the street

5K views 54 replies 22 participants last post by  GTNOS 
#1 ·
#3 ·
I find it easy to determine the "winner" by about 45 mph.......not worth gettin killled over.

#4 ·
I saw the video to that, it was pretty crazy...the cobra was split in half...and the camaro was untouched..... yeah, people are never going to learn until it happends to them.

G
#5 ·
its dangerous...racing in general...that accident woulda happened at the track too..they hit each other...this subject comes up everytime someone finds an article in the paper...you all know my view on it, i'm the guy with the "streetracer" license plate. i'll just say this to put it in perspective.There are more old people that get into accidents than streetracers do...should they be allowed to drive? Dont even get me started on the drunk drivers and yet i dont see anyone postin a condemnation of them. what about the younguns that drive stangs and crash due to inexperience, not racin? take the cars from them too? people who drive even though they know they are prone to seizures? one ended up on the second floor of a house 2 days ago...parked in the bathroom!!! people who jaywalk cause more accidents than streetracers do! and chinese...welll nevermind... i understand that people want to villify streetracin..its easy to do...makes everyone feel better somehow...but hey its not goin anywhere its too much fun!! secondhand smoke does more damage to your fellow man and the entire earth than streetracin so lets clean up the real problems

#6 ·
I do not believe I would be alone in thinking there is a time and a place for everything. You want to race - do it at a track and have a great time. Street racing - yes it may be fun, but generally the participants are not using prudence in their decision to race on a public street. Yes, drunks, seniors and younger and inexperienced drivers, people have seizures - and these are "accidents". They are not preplanned possibilities of "negligence".
An individual who, with little or no forthought of the consequences and surrounding conditions, races another on a public street and an "incident" - not an accident - occurs - that is negligence. Negligence is not an accident.

Negligence is " 1 a : the quality or state of being negligent b : failure to exercise the care that a prudent person usually exercises."

Street racing, now what would that be? How about an unplanned and potentially negligent causing speed contest between individuals on a public way.

I am not talking about people on back and seldom used roads in industrial areas. I am specifically talking about those drivers racing on a 4 lane publically traveled road, with a center median, from 10am to 11pm at night with little or no forthought about interfering with the lives or property of others.
Than we get to see on TV the aftermath of these incidents. The decorating of the roadside shrine and the interviews with crying girlfriends and the "hey dude do not get to close when you hug me" of the male friends expressing their sadness at the loss of another individual, who just wanted to race on the street at night and "gee, it's a free country dude".
There are 2 sides to every story. One thing about America - it is not my way or the highway, but respect for anothers opinion and the rights of others.

#7 ·
before you race on the street consider this....

you are racing and doing 120 MPH which is 175.92 feet per second velocity.

figuring a drag factor of .7, which is most common roads...

IF you slam on the brakes to avoid something and skid, it will take you 685.71 feet to slide to a stop, assuming you dont hit anything first.

5280 ft in a mile. so it will take you more than 1/10th of a mile to stop

it will take 7.8 seconds for you to slide to a stop.

the speed of gravity is 32.2 feet per second (1 G -force)

if you strike something at 100 mph that is moving at 0 mph, you will feel a G force of 25, or 25 times the speed of gravity.

the shuttle astronauts feel 4 to 5 G's at launch.

nasa launches satellites at 20 G forces, because they dont have humans on board.

the max a human body can withstand is about 11 to 12 G forces, and that is for someone who is trained to handle G forces, such as a fighter pilot or an astronaut.

anything above 12 Gs will rip the inside of your body apart, even if your in a seatbelt, even with an airbag, even if your body NEVER contacts anything such as the dash. IE: if you experience a decelerating G force greater than 12, you will only do it once, because it will kill you. the paramedics may pull you out without a mark on your body, and you will still be dead from the internal injuries caused by the decelerating G forces on your body.

but i donno, you get 685 feet in which to slide without hitting something...(tree, pole, another car, wall, fence) maybe you'll get lucky and will be able to slide for over 1/10th of a mile without hitting anything.:rolleyes:

Oh yeah, and if your doing 120mph it will take you 514.28 feet just to slow from 120 to 60. the remaining 171.42 feet is to slow from 60 to 0.

now, when they build a racetrack, they take all of the above into consideration. since 325 mph is the limit, they make sure that they build a track that allows enough time for the vehicles to stop. plus, at a track, you are in a controlled environment with no trees, poles, other vehicles that can pull in front of you, or maybe a wet spot on the road, or wherel someone spilled gravel or something.

now seriously, how smart is it to race on the street?

wait, before you answer that, if your doing the above 120, and a car pulls out in front of you 500 feet away and accelerates up to speed in a 40 mph zone, how long in seconds do you have to slow down enough to avoid it?

5.2 seconds is the answer.

how long if you were doing 40 and it pulled out right in front of you? .65 seconds.

see the difference speed makes? thats why they say speed kills...;)

#8 ·
Even at 8-9 Gs, an untrained person will have brain bleeds. The weight of the blood in your brain rips through the blood vessels. Acrobatic pilots train for months before they pull 9 Gs, to prevent brain damage, by toughening up their blood vessels.

My Dad flew A-4s in the Navy, during Vietnam. He said flying wasn't dangerous. It was just *really* unforgiving of mistakes.

Street racing seems like that. One mistake and it's "Car vs. telephone pole" and frequently, the paramedics are calling it in as an "unrestrained" driver/passenger.

#9 ·
nghtrnnr said:
its dangerous...racing in general...that accident woulda happened at the track too..they hit each other...this subject comes up everytime someone finds an article in the paper...you all know my view on it, i'm the guy with the "streetracer" license plate. i'll just say this to put it in perspective.There are more old people that get into accidents than streetracers do...should they be allowed to drive? Dont even get me started on the drunk drivers and yet i dont see anyone postin a condemnation of them. what about the younguns that drive stangs and crash due to inexperience, not racin? take the cars from them too? people who drive even though they know they are prone to seizures? one ended up on the second floor of a house 2 days ago...parked in the bathroom!!! people who jaywalk cause more accidents than streetracers do! and chinese...welll nevermind... i understand that people want to villify streetracin..its easy to do...makes everyone feel better somehow...but hey its not goin anywhere its too much fun!! secondhand smoke does more damage to your fellow man and the entire earth than streetracin so lets clean up the real problems
On a track they would have been required to have a roll cage, be fully belted in, wearing helmets, and the track would have had runoff areas with barriers designed to limit injuries. They also would not be able to damage un-knowing people's property with the debris from the accident, and there isn't the risk of taking out innocent bystanders.

Yup, there's always one or two accidents a year from old people driving into something. Funny thing though, I can't remember the last time one of those accidents resulted in a DEATH. Strangely, each of the last 3 street racing incidents I've heard about locally (one in each of the past 3 months) have resulted in someone dying.

The simple thing is this: The risk of injuring an innocent bystander from street racing is HUGE. More than the risk from older drivers and more than the risk from other instances. Personally, I hope that every street racer encounters an unexpected Semi and is forcibly removed from the gene pool so that they cannot pass on their stupidity.

G
#10 ·
Zenmervolt said:
Personally, I hope that every street racer encounters an unexpected Semi and is forcibly removed from the gene pool so that they cannot pass on their stupidity.
this jackass just wished death on every one of us that posts in the kill stories section...i dont even know what to say to him...but to the rest of you...you guys always give me something to think about.sometimes gtnos gives a lil too much:hihi: .....but overall points taken...i only go all out from midnight to 4am in the factory districts...i used to race all hours of the day whenever someone challenged me but reading all of your intelligent posts made me stop that...

#11 ·
This is exactly why I don't street race, I do my racing on the freeway :shigrin

#12 ·
JetBlack said:
Even at 8-9 Gs, an untrained person will have brain bleeds. The weight of the blood in your brain rips through the blood vessels. Acrobatic pilots train for months before they pull 9 Gs, to prevent brain damage, by toughening up their blood vessels.

My Dad flew A-4s in the Navy, during Vietnam. He said flying wasn't dangerous. It was just *really* unforgiving of mistakes.

Street racing seems like that. One mistake and it's "Car vs. telephone pole" and frequently, the paramedics are calling it in as an "unrestrained" driver/passenger.
i dont dispute your G factor claims. i was simply stating that the record for pulling Gs with SURVIVAL is somewhere between 11 and 12. (11.6 if im not mistaken) it is scientifically proven that no persons body can withstand more than 12, even with G force training. your organs will begin to rupture, your heart will begin to rip from its muscle mounted point in your chest, taking the aorta along with it...etc. i know that pilots pull 9 and 10 from time to time, and that if they dont do it right they can be seriously injured or killed. i simply stated what i did above to show to those who street race what kind of forces they are up against should they crash, and that at speeds of 100 mph, the g forces are double what it takes to kill you. a 60 mph impact into a 0 mph moving object is around 11 and will kill 99% of the people involved. i was also trying to show how it is virtually impossible to stop if your doing 120 and something gets in your way. leading to the point of why speed like that needs to be done on a track.

#13 ·
nghtrnnr said:
this jackass just wished death on every one of us that posts in the kill stories section...i dont even know what to say to him...but to the rest of you...you guys always give me something to think about.sometimes gtnos gives a lil too much:hihi: .....but overall points taken...i only go all out from midnight to 4am in the factory districts...i used to race all hours of the day whenever someone challenged me but reading all of your intelligent posts made me stop that...
hey, i just pass along what i see on the streets every day i work man. people just dont realize what they are up against. and nghtrnnr, since you think racing from mid to 4 is safe, just cause no one is on the road, i hope what happened to a guy a few weeks back dont happen to you. he drove the same strech of road every day for the last 10 years he said. this one turn he could take at a high speed, and knew the exact speed he could take it at, even though it was double the posted speed limit. however, one night about 3 weeks ago, he was on his way home, and went to take that corner at the same speed that he always did. 60mph, when it was posted 30. he knew the turn, knew his car, knew his abilities. what he didnt know is that earlier that day, a Dolese truck has lost some gravel on that corner. the corner normally had a drag factor of .9. but with the loose pea gravel on the blacktop it lowered it to .2, which is about like hitting ice. when he took the turn, well, he found a tree. he is now deaf in both ears and partially blind in one eye from the brain damage he recieved, and is now learning the sign language that he will use to communicate with for the rest of his life, because without hearing, he will over time lose his ability to speak clearly. if he had been doing 30, he may have still lost control, (although my figures are showing that he most likely would have not) but even if he did, he would have hit that tree at a mild 10 mph instead of a brain damaging 45.... hopefully, while your racing, you dont find some pea gravel, or some oil that leaked from a car two days earlier, or some anti freeze, or find a pothole, or a puddle of water....some more for you to think about from the guy who gives you "a lil too much" ;)

#15 ·
GTNOS,

those were some nice figures that you ran by everyone, but the data on the G-force was inaccurate.

During a cockpit ejection:

The pilot typically experiences an acceleration of about 12 to 14 g (120 to 140 m/s²). Western seats usually impose lighter loads on the pilots; 1960s-70s era ex-Soviet technology often goes up to 20-22 g (with SM-1 and KM-1 gunbarrel type ejection seats).

The most G's anyone has ever withstood was this guy

John Paul Stapp - 46.2 G's

http://www.ejectionsite.com/stapp.htm

#16 ·
nghtrnnr said:
What a load of bull. Streetracing is a choice. An immature choice. If you choose to streetrace and kill someone, you should be tried for 1st degree vehicular homicide.:madas:

#18 ·
Driving an American freedom/right? No. It's a privilage on a shared road. This is not an opinion. This is fact. I do not wish death upon anybody, however if somebody dies as a result of street racing don't expect me to shed a single tear. I have no sympathy for anybody doing that. Well bystanders on a sidewalk that aren't in any part with the race, that is different obviously.

Illegal abuse of this privilage and misuse of a vehicle in a dangerous manor indeed should be mandatory manslaughter. Get the fast and furious wannabe ****heads out of here. But that's of course for urban areas.

When it comes to the boondocks hitting a bystander isn't happening. So I'm lenient and more acceptable to people going their 1/4s there. Might not be the track but it's also not in the city or outskirts. At least it's a virtually abandoned road, next best thing to a track.

Until the deer join in.

#19 ·
I don't think these posts are going to stop anyone who wants to street race from doing so. The only thing I'll add is this; if you ask the top professional drivers in the world, almost all of them will say that people who race on the streets are freakin' idiots that they don't respect. They've all seen colleagues be killed or permanently injured, and the last thing they want to come across on the street is some idiot who lacks the skill and common sense to be a real racer.

G
#21 ·
as far as so called professional drivers go..uh..big woot...i'd like to see the quote...cause chip foose, carrol shelby and ken brown have all pushed it on a street..but thats neither here nor there...i do my thing on the late night circuit and empty roads...to all of you who dont...thats cool...but let he who is without sin and all that...lets see ...what does more damage than streetracin?...lets take the nghtrnnr hypocrit test shall we
youre a hypocrit if
1 you smoke around other people
2 you go above the speed limit
3 you had that beer and jumped in the car drivers seat
4 you talk on the cell phone while you drive
5 you drive home after a double shift at work
because everyone of those things does more damage more often than johnny streetracer...get real
and dont answer this question except in your head...see the pic below...i took it today on my lil road trip...imagine with me....youre in your stang...along side comes a camaro...he gives the go sign...revs his engine...wants to try it...if in your head you said hell yeah i'd speed up...youre a streetracer son...

Attachments

#22 ·
Another little unintended consequence of your street racing accidents is the insurance companies jacking up all of our rates...not good:mad:

#24 ·
Foolinjected said:
None of those 5 things you listed has anything to do with street racing. You can't justify bad behavior by bringing up examples of other.
5 wrongs don't make 1 wrong...right

G
#25 ·
Foolinjected said:
None of those 5 things you listed has anything to do with street racing. You can't justify bad behavior by bringing up examples of other.
read it again...i think it was in english....the plain to see point was that it didnt have anything to do with racing nor was it an attempt to justify it...you do what you want with your life...i'll do the same....the point i clearly made was that "let he who is without sin and all that"...i dont remember saying anything about 5 wrongs making a right either and hey airgo...i havent had one accident or one ticket yet...can you say that? but i think i made my point to those that understand...if you arent guilty of any of those 5 points then you are obviously the lord come again and you can tell me...no...you can order me how to live my life...but if you have done any of those and are still ready to condemn anyone elses lifestyle then...........

G
#26 ·
i think i should clarify something...i dont give a rats patoot if you race or not...i respect why people do...i respect why people dont...i dont race in a way that people get hurt(mostly)and if you are worried about your wife being on the road at 2am in the back alleys of the big city where i race...uh...i hate to tell you but if shes out there...uh....shes really out there if you know what i mean...my point isnt to turn people on to streetracing...and dont think you will ever turn me off to it..it is what it is...i've already had this discussion here and i didnt mean to rehash but when some ******* yahoo wishes my friends death...or some other ******* warrior labels them idiots i have to speak on it...and for those who think i'm off my rocker...go to kill stories...there are legions of motorheads i'm proud to join

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.