Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
2,658 Posts
dang. just when I think I have a good grasp on most of the scientific aspects of owning and maintaining my vehicles for the past 20 years, y'all throw this at me.

de-ionizing?
electron swapping?
stocking distilled water?

gotta be a rocket scientist to maintain a car these days.

·
Registered
13,191 Posts
dang. just when I think I have a good grasp on most of the scientific aspects of owning and maintaining my vehicles for the past 20 years, y'all throw this at me.

de-ionizing?
electron swapping?
stocking distilled water?

gotta be a rocket scientist to maintain a car these days.
That's just not right. :evillol:

·
Registered
5,881 Posts
I just do what the factory calls for, and with the antifreeze they should not be any problems. Change your antifreeze, and water regularly. Seems pretty simple. Distilled water... I thought was deionized?

·
Premium Member
72,882 Posts
From the Ford Service Manual:

"When adding engine coolant, use a 50/50 mixture of engine coolant and deionized water."

·
Registered
5,881 Posts
From the Ford Service Manual:

"When adding engine coolant, use a 50/50 mixture of engine coolant and deionized water."
Exactly what to do. I think people get into additives, and oils way to much.:nogrinner

·
Registered
398 Posts
Snake, I noticed you're from Texas. Were you just running water without any coolant/additives in that truck?

No. I always ran a 50/50 mix of water and Prestone and I made sure the Prestone was the correct type for aluminum systems.

·
Registered
398 Posts
I think the key is not to use deionized water alone in a radiator. If you look at the purple ice disclaimer it states: 'Distilled water and / or demineralized water should not be used if you elect to run a mixture of straight water and Purple Ice in your radiator.'
As stated I was running a 50/50 mix of Prestone and distilled water and was not even aware there was such a thing as de-ionized distilled water. I had used that mixture for years with no problems in several different types of vehicles.

·
Registered
398 Posts
Deionized would be even worse. The positive ions (minerals) naturally in ground water, neutralize waters negative charge. Pull those ions out, and you get reactions between the water and metals.
We are not talkin about ground water but ionized distilled water mixed with Prestone coolant. You can debate all you want and do what you will to your own vehicles but I know what happened to mine and my advice it to abstain from distilled water that is not de-ionized.

·
Registered
766 Posts
If you go to the shop manual thread in the stickys and look up engine cooling, Ford recommends "deionized" water for their systems. I learn something new everyday on this forum...GA

·
Registered
20 Posts
We are not talkin about ground water but ionized distilled water mixed with Prestone coolant. You can debate all you want and do what you will to your own vehicles but I know what happened to mine and my advice it to abstain from distilled water that is not de-ionized.

I just read through this: Deionized water vs. Distilled water and now I don't want to put anything in my aluminum rad...

I have always used deionized water in aluminum cooling systems and even ford is recommending it, but all the folks in the link above seem to state it is the worst thing possible...

·
Registered
2,560 Posts
I just do what the factory calls for, and with the antifreeze they should not be any problems. Change your antifreeze, and water regularly. Seems pretty simple. Distilled water... I thought was deionized?
Regularly??????? $hit, mine has what the factory put in there from March '05 … damn. I was wondering about the brake and auto tranny fluid too. Change them all:?:

21 - 31 of 31 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.