Which tune do you prefer ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
2,419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm interested in knowing your opinions on the different tunes that are available out there.

Once you vote in the poll please state your reason in the thread. I am particularly interested in people that have tried different tunes and would like to know why they picked one over the other, if they could really tell a difference, etc.

And if you want to get more specific please do....for example giving your impressions of the Bama Chips 93 torque tune or 93 race tune, etc.

Right now I will be only having the canned SCT tunes plus one custom tune from some dyno guy in Florida, although I doubt I will be loading that tune right off the bat.

Thanks !!

·
Premium Member
1965 Mustang coupe
72,531 Posts
For my purposes only a dyno tune will suffice. However, for a custom tune I would go with Brenspeed. He's not the #1 SCT tuner for no reason. Bamachips would be a close 2nd.

·
Registered
161 Posts
I like the race tune from Bamachips, it pulls hard. The torque tune is good also for the low end power. I havent tried anyone else's tune yet and I don't know if I will unless it is Dyno tune.

·
Registered
10,858 Posts
My first tune was form Brenspeed and they modded it for me. But my tune from Tillmans Speed was the best I've seen without a dyno tune. After the dyno tune, no comparison.

·
Registered
448 Posts
Havent ever ran anything except the tunes provided by Brent at Brenspeed.Tried the 93 for a couple of tanks and did notice a difference but just couldnt get past the paying $3.75 a gallon for it. Especially since i dont go to the track,if I did i would run the 93 but I dont. 87 tune showed me the ponies i was missing out on without the C&L intake and XCal2. Have never had problem number 1 with my tune package. I did have a couple questions,called brenspeed,Brent answered the phone and my questions both times. Now thats customer service,unheard of most of the time these days.
And Fuzzy,you can still install the CAI and tune yourself. Go watch him do it and then kick yourself in the butt,lol.

·
Registered
5,870 Posts
I love my Bama tune and the service is excellent. Highly recommend.

·
Registered
1,882 Posts
I love my Bama tune and the service is excellent. Highly recommend.
So, Fuzzy, is this what you had in mind?

OK.

I kinda like my [email protected]@chips tunes, and the proprietor was mildly unpleasant when I showed a little impatience at what I thought was a relaxed standard for promptness and communication. I still wonder if my copies of the tunes are a little less wonderful because of that.

Don't get me wrong: they are wonderful. 87 performance was (eventually) discernable as an improvement. 91 torque fattens up the bottom end so much I can't get a decent launch, but results in an (average) increase of 2mph in terminal eighth-mile speed (72.00 best), over even the 91 performance tune. 91 peformance tune is best overall, leaving some of the bottom-end torque but not so much it's useless, comes on strong at 4000+ rpm where the 6-cylinder automatic spends most of its time after launch; (average) two-tenths better than the 91 torque tune in the eighth-mile (10.000 best).

Current bests are:
R/T 0.512 ( 0.012 ) 2008-01-18
60 Ft. 2.365 2007-11-17
MPH 72.00 2007-11-17
ET 10.000 2008-04-04

I don't want to spring for the race tune until I get some more mods in the power train; at present it's just the GT muffler and a K&N drop-in air filter. Next month, maybe, FRPP duals. Still later, maybe a CAI.

I have no experience with any other tunes. My evaluation is based on tests with variables controlled as carefully as I can. I'm guessing 90% of your responses are testimonials, always likely to be influenced by cognitive dissonance, the natural tendency to seek arguments and data that support the correctness of a choice, and to ignore or discount those that contradict it.

·
Registered
5,870 Posts
I have not tried Brenspeeds, yet I somehow think Bamma`s is better for my application. I Know one thing Doug is a lot better to deal with.Brenspeed`s people act like it is an inconvience to talk or ask a question.I do not care how good they are,if they act like that, I will spend elsewhere. Maybe they are just to busy?

·
Registered
2,634 Posts
after they stopped responding to my emails and would not take back a pump they said WOULD work and it even says it can handle the power I wanted on there website I am unsatisfied with brenspeed. A huge company like that should have no issues with doing a return on a 300$ pump.

Were ST Motorsports for example traded me used parts for new parts just so I get can my car tuned properly and running at its best with no issue of money, just to ensure my satisfaction.

·
Registered
5,870 Posts
after they stopped responding to my emails and would not take back a pump they said WOULD work and it even says it can handle the power I wanted on there website I am unsatisfied with brenspeed. A huge company like that should have no issues with doing a return on a 300$ pump.

Were ST Motorsports for example traded me used parts for new parts just so I get can my car tuned properly and running at its best with no issue of money, just to ensure my satisfaction.
:nono:That is what happens when some companies get to big they stop carring about making the customer happy.$300.00 probably cost them a lot of money.The thing is they would not of lost the 300.00 by refunding your money,all they had to do is resale it. I figure I would have spent over 1300.00 with them by now.That is probably chump change to them. Oh well, I will spend with nice people who stand behind there products.

·
Registered
5,870 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
I just ordered myself a JLT Intake + Xcal3 + 87 perf, 91 perf, 91 torque tunes from bamachips.com. I'm just curious if anyone has any idea what kinda power gains I will see with each of the tunes??

·
Registered
3,765 Posts
Well I like Metallica or AC/DC as some of my favorite tunes, they really get up and go!

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
I just ordered myself a JLT Intake + Xcal3 + 87 perf, 91 perf, 91 torque tunes from bamachips.com. I'm just curious if anyone has any idea what kinda power gains I will see with each of the tunes??
The 87 tune is noticably better than stock, with a slight increase in mpg under normal driving. The 91 torque (I have 93) is better down low with a slight mpg increase, under normal driving. The 91 perf is a little better upstairs, but not alot different from the torque tune. Personally, I would have substituted the race tune for the perf tune. The race tune is amazing.

·
Registered
5,870 Posts
The 87 tune is noticably better than stock, with a slight increase in mpg under normal driving. The 91 torque (I have 93) is better down low with a slight mpg increase, under normal driving. The 91 perf is a little better upstairs, but not alot different from the torque tune. Personally, I would have substituted the race tune for the perf tune. The race tune is amazing.
I just got mine 2 days ago and I have 91 torque,91perf,and 91Race.I put the race tune in first and do not even want to try the other 2 tunes.This tune is so good.:bigthumbsup It seems like a lot of power ,not the same car. Not Even close.

·
Registered
12,633 Posts
dyno tunes are the way to go man!!! :bigthumbsup

*but i have the OEM ford one, don't tell anyone hahah* :hihi:

·
Registered
5,870 Posts
Yea if you have one in your area. Ford dyno that is funny.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.