Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was thinking of putting a Z-303 cam. into my 306 motor that has gt-40p heads, 1.6 roller rockers, rpm air gap intake, 650cfm carburetor, racing AODE trans, and 3:73 gears. Right now I have the E-303 cam and its too mild for me! Was wondering if someone has put in a Z cam in and what they think, and/or is it a good decision to get this cam? all comments and information is greatly appreciated!! Thank You

Michael

·
Registered
653 Posts
whats wrong with the e303 in there now?

·
Registered
599 Posts
i had basicly the same set up in my 89GT.except i had aluminum heads and 5 speed...and if i had to do it again i would use the z cam....but you will deffinately need a converter at least 3000....you should have one now....if you do change the cam...if you dont get a good converter..it will pick the car up a good 5 tenths .....and thats alot :bigthumbsup.....ps the more lift the cam has some times you may have to change to adjustable rockers....keep that in mind.:scratchchin

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i had basicly the same set up in my 89GT.except i had aluminum heads and 5 speed...and if i had to do it again i would use the z cam....but you will deffinately need a converter at least 3000....you should have one now....if you do change the cam...if you dont get a good converter..it will pick the car up a good 5 tenths .....and thats alot :bigthumbsup.....ps the more lift the cam has some times you may have to change to adjustable rockers....keep that in mind.:scratchchin
Thanks for the advice!! I have a 3500 stall converter right now... that should be ok right?

·
Registered
599 Posts
perfect.......im like you i love a rough sounding camshaft...:gringreen

·
Registered
508 Posts
perfect.......im like you i love a rough sounding camshaft...:gringreen
Who doesnt :laugh:.. I love it when you are waiting for the car to stall and it sounds like it did, and then the motor turns again. Sounds BA.

But remember, just because it sounds BA, doesnt mean it will be for your set-up. Not saying about your set-up, just in general.:bigthumbsup

·
Registered
653 Posts
Isn't that cam a little much for p heads? I mean, is it really going to flow any better? Anybody know what the saturation point of gt40p heads is? With that cam, my guess is your gonna lose a lot on the low end.

·
Registered
508 Posts
Isn't that cam a little much for p heads? I mean, is it really going to flow any better? Anybody know what the saturation point of gt40p heads is? With that cam, my guess is your gonna lose a lot on the low end.
Good point +1

·
Registered
46,020 Posts
Those P heads may not be able to support the Z cam, and the springs will not work with the Z. You'd have to switch the springs at a minimum. You'll also have to change the factory rev limiter as it pulls past 6250, it'll go to 6600.

What are you trying to do? You say the E isn't enough. You just want the rough idle cam sound?

R

·
0 Posts
I will once again act as the voice of reason....

There is no reason to put a bigger cam in the car when the other component will not be COMPATIBLE.....

The disappointment factor of performance will be highly elevated.....

FYI....When choosing a cam bigger is not always better.......

·
Registered
599 Posts
i agree 100%........youll have more trouble than its worth.....i mean really.......a cams a cam......when your listening to it ....most people can tell if it dose or dont but thats it .....as far as performance your right in there as far as sound your right in there to....i know we get bored some times and just want to do something......but truly youll probably hurt the balance you have already.....something to think about..:scratchchin

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.