Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Which Zaino product should I use on my car. I don't know exactly what type of paint job I have. Did Ford use the same paint process on the metal parts of the car and the fiberglass parts. Also, is the use of a clay bar really a necessary part of the process? One last question. I live in Florida, aka "love bug hell", are there any products out there, aside from using a bra, that I can use to prevent bug guts from ruining my finish? Thanks

·
Registered
263 Posts
The clay bar is nice for new cars. It gets the rail dust, tar, bugs and whatever else was imbedded into the clearcoat after the build and during shipping. Takes less than an hour and is well worth it.

As for the products... I use the Z-5 Swirl Remover, Z-2 Pro with the ZFX Accelerator and the Gloss Spray Z-8. The swirl remover is optional really, depending on the condition of the car.

Zrullac said:
Which Zaino product should I use on my car. I don't know exactly what type of paint job I have. Did Ford use the same paint process on the metal parts of the car and the fiberglass parts. Also, is the use of a clay bar really a necessary part of the process? One last question. I live in Florida, aka "love bug hell", are there any products out there, aside from using a bra, that I can use to prevent bug guts from ruining my finish? Thanks

·
Banned
128 Posts
I used the meguiars clay bar...buffed like crazy, paint sealant, buffed like crazy, gold class polish....one week later re did gold class polish.

·
Registered
394 Posts
nbk13nw said:
The clay bar is nice for new cars. It gets the rail dust, tar, bugs and whatever else was imbedded into the clearcoat after the build and during shipping. Takes less than an hour and is well worth it.

As for the products... I use the Z-5 Swirl Remover, Z-2 Pro with the ZFX Accelerator and the Gloss Spray Z-8. The swirl remover is optional really, depending on the condition of the car.
What is the time from ClayBar until finish with the above? You make it sound like a snap...but looks like hours to me. I've always cared for my finishes...but never to the extent of most on this board. I've got to learn how now. That is if I plan on attending any shows or what not.

·
Registered
305 Posts
Zrullac said:
Your best bet is to go to their website and search around. If I'm not mistaken they will give you detailed instructions on the full Zaino process. Trust me this is not something you will want to start after work or after dinner. This is something that you have to plan in advance. Get yourself a whole day with little or no interruptions. Because to trully get the full benefit of Zaino protection you will certainly what to take your time and pay attention to details. And yes, clay barring is certainly one thing you will want to do as well. It doesn't take long and it will make a huge difference.http://www.zainostore.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Category_Code=Zaino

·
Registered
263 Posts
KiLLeR_WoMBaT said:
What is the time from ClayBar until finish with the above? You make it sound like a snap...but looks like hours to me. I've always cared for my finishes...but never to the extent of most on this board. I've got to learn how now. That is if I plan on attending any shows or what not.
First:

Prep the car.

In the shade or garage, wash the vehicle using dish detergent. The high alkaline content will remove most if not all of the existing wax. Using a mixture of detergent and water in a spray bottle, I mist the area to be worked and use it as a lubricant for claying. It takes about an hour or less to clay the entire vehicle.

After claying, wash the vehicle again. And this time dry it very well prior to the next steps.

If you have some scratches or fine spider webs in your finish (Dark cars show them alot more than others) then use a scratch / swirls remover. I use the Zaino Z-5. I use a buffer and apply the Z-5 in a front / back motion on horizontal panels and top / bottom on vertical panels. Let it dry real well. If yoou used the ZFX then it takes about 30 minutes to cure, if not, then give it an hour. Using the buffer I then repeat the process of front / back on horz panels and top / bottm on verts. I Change the buffing pad after the halfway point. Then repeat if you find it necessary.

I used the Z-8 spray after my final Z-5 coat. I used three coats of Z-5 originally.

Then, using the same technique, I used the Z-2 Pro. Three coats of that as well.

All in all, the first time I did this it took 8 hours. Since that time, using a single coat of Z-5 and Z-2 Pro. It takes less than 4 hours to complete the job. Well worth it too I might add.

Attachments

·
Registered
394 Posts
Do you put all that on the Wheels also? The site mentions instructions and randomly says "to include wheels" but never gives instructions on which products or techniques to use on wheels. What would be the benefit of putting this stuff on my chrome wheels?

·
Registered
74 Posts
Zaino and Wheels...

I emailed Sal Zaino a similar question about what to use on the wheels and here is his answer:

"> Hi,
> I'm interested in purchasing your Zaino Ultimate
> Protection Show Car Kit for my 2005 Mustang GT.
> However, I can't seem to find a product in that kit
> to clean my Bright Machined Cast Aluminum Wheels,

Important Wheel Maintainence..... For Clear-Coated Rims....

I do not recommend using any type of wheel cleaners on your wheels. Even

though they may say clear-coat safe. Most of them are not. They can cloud, dull, etch and even ruin the clear-coat. Remember they say clear coat safe. Would you use them to clean your paint finish??? Doubt it. Get my point. Not worth taking the chance.

I recommend the following;

Zaino ZFX accelerator should be used with Z-2 or Z-5 on the wheels Z-2 or Z-5 is very durable and will keep the wheels protected from water abrasion and super heated brake dust. Z-2 will blow away anything, you were prevously using. Get at least 2 to 3 coats of Z-2 on them. It will make those wheels look better than new. And help them stay that way. Just remember the wheels get the most abuse, so keep them maintained regularly with Z-2 show Car polish. Also use Z-6 "Gloss Enhancer" spray between every coat of Z-2. It really helps give a three dimensional look. Its antistatic formula will reduce brake dust and dirt pickup by 60%. Your wheels will stay cleaner longer and look better than new. Guaranteed!"

Hope this helps....

·
Registered
394 Posts
Cool,

I'm ordering the kit!

·
Registered
276 Posts
Zaino's good, but you can't beat Zymol for the deepest most defect free shine. Believe me I used both.

·
Registered
2,569 Posts
I have used Zymol (all the types) and want to try Zaino. I dislike Zymol because it takes forever and smears much of the time. I (so far) favor the Turtle Wax Ultra Gloss liquid, it is much better than anything they ever made before. I ran a detail shop for six years and have nearly tried it all on many types and conditions of paint jobs.

just my .02

1 - 12 of 12 Posts