Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3,316 Posts
I'm happy with mine. Be sure to get the surface clean so the tape sticks properly. I'd hate to loose it going 60+.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I love mine! I painted it myself and had it striped...

Attachments

·
Registered
4 Posts
Your car looks great!!
I see you said you painted the Hood Scoop yourself. Did you also paint the mirrors yourself? I'd like to hear more about painting yourself and how you went about it. It looks awesome and have the Legend Lime as well and I would like to add the painted mirrors and doctor up the front lower grill panel.

·
Registered
181 Posts
myltlpny said:
I'm happy with mine. Be sure to get the surface clean so the tape sticks properly. I'd hate to loose it going 60+.
hey do you have the agressive or classic chin spoiler? sorry about being a little off topic

·
Registered
16 Posts
jlans said:
Your car looks great!!
I see you said you painted the Hood Scoop yourself. Did you also paint the mirrors yourself? I'd like to hear more about painting yourself and how you went about it. It looks awesome and have the Legend Lime as well and I would like to add the painted mirrors and doctor up the front lower grill panel.
Yes, I also painted the mirrors. I got the paint from a local paint store. I also purchased a little from the Ford body shop when I did the mirrors. I basically taught myself how to paint. Its really not that hard and my paint gun was only $39 (HVLP). You need a compressor and an air dryer. I now have painted several cars. You either have it or you dont. If you can make spray paint look pretty good then you can paint with a paint gun.
If you do try it your self, keep this one thing in mind....on metalic paint, you need to "fog" the paint on. If you try to paint using the "overlapping lines" technique, it will look stripped! The only way to keep the metal flake from "grouping" is to hold the gun back about 8-10 inches and let the paint "fog" onto the surface. Once that drys ( about 15 min.) , you can spray the clear.

By the way have you registered on the Legend Lime Registry? http://www.legendlimeregistry.com/

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
What did you guys use to clean the hood before you put the scoop on? I just ordered one and what to clean it the right way. Thanks.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Thanks for the Tips

limestang05 said:
Yes, I also painted the mirrors. I got the paint from a local paint store. I also purchased a little from the Ford body shop when I did the mirrors. I basically taught myself how to paint. Its really not that hard and my paint gun was only $39 (HVLP). You need a compressor and an air dryer. I now have painted several cars. You either have it or you dont. If you can make spray paint look pretty good then you can paint with a paint gun.
If you do try it your self, keep this one thing in mind....on metalic paint, you need to "fog" the paint on. If you try to paint using the "overlapping lines" technique, it will look stripped! The only way to keep the metal flake from "grouping" is to hold the gun back about 8-10 inches and let the paint "fog" onto the surface. Once that drys ( about 15 min.) , you can spray the clear.

By the way have you registered on the Legend Lime Registry? http://www.legendlimeregistry.com/
Yes I'm registered on the Legend Lime Registry #77. My name there is GALLUPN. Thanks for the paint tips. I just might have to take that on and do it myself. I really like what you've done with your ride and the LLR is a great place to see mods on our color car.

·
Premium Member
72,878 Posts
Use naptha or rubbing alcohol (isopropyl) to clean surfaces prior to using any adhesives. This also applies to applying 3M vinyl stripes.

·
Registered
3,316 Posts
stlwagon said:
Use naptha or rubbing alcohol (isopropyl) to clean surfaces prior to using any adhesives. This also applies to applying 3M vinyl stripes.
Right, but just to expound a bit, be sure to use the clear variety. The scented kinds have oils in them...very bad. And be sure to clean the hood and especially the underside of the scoop (due to mold release).

1 - 10 of 10 Posts