Ford Mustang Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
937 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright fellas. I know this discussion has been broughtup here a thousand times but I have a few extra questions. First, for those of you that use Seafoam, do you buy one for the tank and then another for the oil? A one pint container treats 10 quarts of oil so I figured I need two. One whole one for the tank and another half or so for the crankcase. And finally, which one would ya'll recommend? Two containers of Seafoam is $20 while a package of Zmax is $35. My car has 35,000 miles on it and has never had anything run through it to clean it. I figured it needs it. Thanks.

·
Registered
119 Posts
From what i read and will be doing also next week sometime is that with one bottle of Seafoam is all you need. 1/3 in the gas tank 1/3 in the oil and 1/3 in the brake booster. heres a vid clip on how to do it.
YouTube - How-To Seafoam
also i haven't done my research on the other product u told me about sooo... thats as much info as i can help ya out with lol

·
Registered
135 Posts
Seafoam

Agreed, I ran 1/3 of a can in the vaccum
1/3 in a 1/2 tank of gas (that'll fix the ratio)
1/3 in crank case

Drove to work the next day (50miles round trip)
oil change and WOW am I happy

I got very little smoke from the vaccum line,
diagnosed a manifold crack at the same time
and my low end throttle response is awesome

IDK if you will see outstanding performance jump
since you're car is still pretty young but
I say Seafoam every 6 months to a year starting naow

GL
HTH

·
Registered
2,244 Posts
I've never heard of the Seafoam, let alone use it or know what it does. It looks like it cleans the fuel system, from the tank and brake booster through the vacuum line. Don't know what it's suppose to do, in the crankcase. But I have used, the Z Max and that I know has worked for me anyway, Mike. SCT Tuner.:bigthumbsup

·
Registered
207 Posts
I am amsoil guy their products are tested in labs and not just their own and have been proven to be better than mobile 1 extended perf and any other products they also have fuel system cleaner and engine flush be carefull with any engine flush if it lifts of oil sludge from the oil pan and does not complety dessolve the clumps of oil the oil pump pickup tube in your pan can get clogged and your motor is toast if you want check them out at amsoil.com but with so little milles on the car you my not have a problem just my two cents

·
Registered
256 Posts
This is a great debate...

Seafoam and Z-maxx are both meant to clean out carbon build up, seafoam has been very good at this for years, Z-maxx is a fairly new product but watch the demonstrations on the commercial, it should worry you a bit, especially engine builders and this is why:
Think outside the box :sterb:, engines are built to a specific balance and weight ratio, heads are cut to specific cc ratings as well as pistons for compression ratings, if you add a penetrating liquid to a balanced assembly wouldnt you think it could add problems?

I can gaurantee this product will not spread evenly on all pistons therefore adding liquid weight to more sections than others, might not happen right away but down the line if you add weight of any kind to a single piston it will eventually cause wear, which can lead to vibrations or scratching of cylinder walls, wear of rings, wear of bearings, and much more which of course one failure can lead to all eventually causing catastrophic failure.

Now of course just looking at what the product does it raised a question for me, but I would love to know what you think, or any proven studies to show otherwise, you wont find it but happy hunting, look forward to various opinions.

One person suggested the liquid is burned before it can settle into the piston, well if this is so why advertise that it can penetrate and condition any type of metals, whats the benefit or need to advertise a product and what it can do if it is never able to do so, most would suggest false advertisement but many people have many opinions, what's yours? :headscratch:

·
Registered
5,881 Posts
I have used the Seafoam ,and no problems. I also use Lucas , which has been around a long time. I notice I get better mileage, when using the Lucas fuel injector/fuel additive. I use the lucas oil additive as well. Good stuff.:bigthumbsup

·
Registered
937 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks guys. I'm going to try the Seafoam in the next week or so when I change my oil. I'll post the findings. Protree750 makes a good argument so I'll probably leave the Zmax alone.

·
Banned
7,170 Posts
the seafoam, z-max, and lucas are all good products. have used all of them with good results. and i don't think any of them changed the balance of any of the engines i used them in.

·
Registered
5,881 Posts
Let's not forget Berryman's B-12 Chemtool. Another one that's been around forever.
That is funny I thought I was the only one still using this. We are showing are age Mark.:laugh:

·
Premium Member
72,878 Posts
That is funny I thought I was the only one still using this. We are showing are age Mark.:laugh:
No kidding Billy :D. Berryman's actually contains acetone which can alter the surface tension of the fuel and increase gas mileage. Plus it's cheap!

·
Registered
5,881 Posts
No kidding Billy :D. Berryman's actually contains acetone which can alter the surface tension of the fuel and increase gas mileage. Plus it's cheap!
I hear you there can`t beat the price. I really like the Lucas upper cylinder treatment,have you tried it?

·
Registered
5,881 Posts
Yep good stuff. I have only used the Berrymans cleaner.

·
Registered
633 Posts
the best is a bottle of seafoam in the gas and a bottle of marvals mystrey oil it works great i feel like it works better than seafoam but i really like to use them together in the gas but just occasionally because i use good gas and good oil amsoil and chervron with techron 93. may have to try zmax somtime.but i really like the marvals mystrey oil i get mine at carquest or any parts house about 5 dooalrs a bottle.i think stlwagon knows about marval oil but dont hear many on here talk about it but i know of many that swear by it including me now.

·
Registered
1,953 Posts
z maxx has actually been around for a while. used to be called speedway cocktail. it was engineered by racers looking for an edge in racing. it was bought after it became popular and the name is now z maxx. some guys swear by it....i myself havent used it. only thing iv ever used is lucas oil fuel injector cleaner and seafoam. might try some seafoam though here soon...worked wonders on my 65' pontiac bonneville. had that 389 pontiac with a holley 4 barrel running like new!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.