Ford Mustang Forum banner

261 - 280 of 286 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
stalling under load

ok guys my first time on. here's what I have. a converted 1966 mustang with a 1993 mustang efi system. . all new components this has been a 11 month conversion. the car stall under a load sounds just like it is running out of gas. I have install 3 new fuel pumps exceeding factory specs of a 5.0 ho ,also changed relays.
most of the stalling is when it is hot ,seems to be slightly better when it is cold. again all components are new other than the distributor . need help with this 11 month old problem.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Having the same problem. Did the IAC fix your problem?
The wife's 2003 GT convertible was having the problem of running fine but at idle would run very rough and die at stops. I pulled the IAC and cleaned it with carb cleaner and some Q-tips, chucked it back in place and it idles fine now. Thanks to advice from this forum, I was able to narrow down what was the problem and fix it!
That worked for me and may well work for you too!

·
Registered
3 Posts
a hair line cracked ignition coil caused my issues

Check your ignition coils, see if on or any have hair line cracks, took me 2 hot summers of this happening to me until the coil crack got big enough for us to realize that was the issue all along.. mine only did this when it was heated up in a hot day. good luck snowman.gif

·
Registered
3 Posts
ok guys my first time on. here's what I have. a converted 1966 mustang with a 1993 mustang efi system. . all new components this has been a 11 month conversion. the car stall under a load sounds just like it is running out of gas. I have install 3 new fuel pumps exceeding factory specs of a 5.0 ho ,also changed relays.
most of the stalling is when it is hot ,seems to be slightly better when it is cold. again all components are new other than the distributor . need help with this 11 month old problem.
Check your ignition coils, see if on or any have hair line cracks, took me 2 hot summers of this happening to me until the coil crack got big enough for us to realize that was the issue all along.. mine only did this when it was heated up in a hot day. good luck snowman.gif

·
Registered
1 Posts
Idle Problems

So I have read through this thread and have found similar but not exact same conditions as mine. So here goes:
2003 Ford Mustang GT Auto
Bought it used in Sept of last year, other than K&N Air Filter no other mods that I am aware of.
If I baby her and drive nice and easy this problem does not present itself. However, if I romp on her, fast acceleration, the RPMS jump to 2K at a stop light and dies If i don't pop her in Neutral and let the RPMS come down and give it gas before dying. If I don't do this the RPMs will drop to about 200 and then die. Also it feels like she is pulling herself along as I cruise and the RPMs fluctuate up and down. I have replaced the IAC and it fixed it, but only for a short while. Replaced it again and the same thing happened, fixed for about a min and then right back to the exact same problem. Any advice would help. Weather doesnt seem to be a factor as it does it when its warm or cold out. And it does it when the engine is warmed up or not. Seems to be only common is if I do fast acceleration.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Should I replace IAC?

2001 mustang gt 4.6 Auto trans. Stock except bbk cold air intake

After reading all posts and every page, it's great information. My car is starting rough and then after starting it runs for 5-10 seconds then dies.
I have taken the IAC off and Cleaned it thoroughly it was bad dirty white dried stuff and when I put degreaser on it, and swished it around and poured out black stuff. Also when I pulled it off the gasket looked like it was chipped. I have attached pics of all of it, should I replace his or do you think cleaning will help? What about the gasket? Is it ok? Can you buy just the gasket or just "make" a new one?

Also really concerned this won't fix it. Any way to test instead of replacing it just to test?

Attachments

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hey I was wondering if anyone can help me with a problem I'm having I have a 2001 mustang gt 5spd with 132000 the car has been surging feels like it's about to stall this happens when you first take off and at wot if you get on the pedal gradually it's a little better but so far I replaced the fuel pump and it's still doing the same thing my next step is the fuel pressure sensor could this cause a problem like this I don't want to keep dumping money into it when you disconnect the fuel pressure sensor the pressure spikes to about 89 is that normal or is the sensor bad please help thanks

·
Registered
88 Posts
Hey I was wondering if anyone can help me with a problem I'm having I have a 2001 mustang gt 5spd with 132000 the car has been surging feels like it's about to stall this happens when you first take off and at wot if you get on the pedal gradually it's a little better but so far I replaced the fuel pump and it's still doing the same thing my next step is the fuel pressure sensor could this cause a problem like this I don't want to keep dumping money into it when you disconnect the fuel pressure sensor the pressure spikes to about 89 is that normal or is the sensor bad please help thanks

Do you have a tuner that you can scan the computer and see if there are any codes that come up? If not, I would probably start with spark plugs and if its still doing it maybe one of your COP's. Hard to say by just the description you gave but that is where I would start.

·
Registered
1 Posts
my 02 v6 mustang bogs out and dies when coming to a stop. i have to put it in nuetral or else it dies. its an automatic. on to of that it over heats within 15 minutes and if i have the gas pressed to the floor im still only going five mph. where do i start? i put new plugs, new coil, new oil and oil filter, new plugs and wires. nothings changed. wth do i do?

·
Registered
1 Posts
1999 GT RPM dropping and occasionally stalling...

So I haven't seen anything posted about my specific issue so I wanted to jump in and see what help I might find. This problem with my manual transmission 1999 GT has been going on a while, but I thought it was fixed when I recently replaced my CAI. It was a BBK, now an Airaid. It ran fine for several days and now when coasting to a stop with my clutch in, the RPM occasionally fall below idle, sometimes to 250 and sometimes stalling). This is the exact same problem that has been happening even with the previous intake. I have cleaned the MAF sensor and replaced the EGR valve (back when the problem first appeared) with no effect. Just had a tune up after the car was in storage while I was in Bahrain and they replaced the spark plugs and fuel filter. Now I noticed something that I had never realized previously, the dipping of theRPM actually seems to correlate to my pressing the brake pedal. Does anyone know if that could actually be the source of my issue? I should also note than I had to replace the intake manifold due to that issue of the all plastic one cracking near the thermostat. Following that fix several spark plugs were replaced that were flooded by coolant at the time. One thought I had was possibly an issue with one of the cats in my exhaust going bad. I also have had to replace one of the 4 already. The brake pedal thing might be in my head...

·
Registered
1 Posts
I blocked off my IAC with a gasket. I have never had an issue other then turning my AC off when coming to a stop.

99 GT with tuner , fuel system , exhaust , throttle body and intake.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Mustang idle surging

My 07 GT (with 125k miles) was surging between 500 and 1500 rpm at idle and would often stall out. After much research, I determined the issue could be caused by a dirty throttle body. After disconnecting the neg battery cable, I removed the throttle body and found it completely fouled with carbon. I cleaned it with throttle body cleaner (including the butterfly valves) and a rag being careful not to "overspray" as the cleaner is rather strong. The entire job took only 30 minutes (I took my time) and the idle surge issue is fixed. In fact, my GT seems to run smoother and is more responsive. Only 5 bucks and 30 minutes of my time fixed the problem.

·
Registered
20 Posts
oil dipstick/tube

just rebuilt my 04 GT my long tube headers are making it hard to fit the oil dipstick tube any body have any ideas and oh yeah I can't find a shorty for a 4.6

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi pony lovers! I am having idling issues with my 04 Mustang GT and the IAC has been changed with Form OEM, computer replaced, and throttle body has been cleaned. I am still having issue with the idle bouncing around between 200 and 600RPM. Some mornings it won't start right away and I have to use the gas pedal for a minute to keep it running. I am replacing the spark plugs, found a great deal on a Ford OEM set. My question now, is I want to replace the coil pack also since I'll be in there already.
Recommendations on a good coil pack that is not stupid expensive? I'm trying to find a price range within $100-150 if possible. If not, I'll just save a little longer to do it right. I'm new so if I am supposed to post this somewhere else, please let me know.

Thanks for any help, Lisa

·
Registered
8,704 Posts
Hi pony lovers! I am having idling issues with my 04 Mustang GT and the IAC has been changed with Form OEM, computer replaced, and throttle body has been cleaned. I am still having issue with the idle bouncing around between 200 and 600RPM. Some mornings it won't start right away and I have to use the gas pedal for a minute to keep it running. I am replacing the spark plugs, found a great deal on a Ford OEM set. My question now, is I want to replace the coil pack also since I'll be in there already.
Recommendations on a good coil pack that is not stupid expensive? I'm trying to find a price range within $100-150 if possible. If not, I'll just save a little longer to do it right. I'm new so if I am supposed to post this somewhere else, please let me know.

Thanks for any help, Lisa
Have you ruled out a vacuum leak yet? Your symptoms - fluctuating idle that requires throttle to keep running, 9 times outta 10 is a vacuum leak.

Whoever convinced you to replace the PCM, if it were me I would probably not take advice from them anymore.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Yes, when the after market IAC didn't clear the engine code they smoked it. I had 2 different shops do it just in case the first one missed a pin hole. It needed the OEM IAC and engine code stayed cleared that time

The PCM replacement happened when they thought the after market IAC was fine. I'm so done with these shops so my boyfriend and I are going to handle it now.

·
Registered
8,704 Posts
Yes, when the after market IAC didn't clear the engine code they smoked it. I had 2 different shops do it just in case the first one missed a pin hole. It needed the OEM IAC and engine code stayed cleared that time

The PCM replacement happened when they thought the after market IAC was fine. I'm so done with these shops so my boyfriend and I are going to handle it now.
It may work out better for you to go ahead and start your own thread on this here in 4.6 Tech rather than posting in here. Posts in here tend to get lost, having a dedicated thread detailing your issue and everything that's been done so far will get seen by more sets of eyes and give you a better shot at finding a helpful solution. Whatever check engine light related codes are currently present, be sure to include those as well.

261 - 280 of 286 Posts